Friday, 4 December 2015

Decade I have chosen

I have chosen the 1940's as the decade I am going to use as inspiration for my hair designs. This is because it was the decade I was most looking forward to learning the hair techniques of and the hairstyles from the 1940's are the hairstyles I like the most. I also think the hairstyles are very flattering and can be made to suit a lot of people.
In the early 1940's up until 1945 the Second World War was still taking place which meant a lot of items were rationed. These included clothes and therefore fashion changed as women had to find new ways to make the clothes and material they had last. Also as many women were taking on men's jobs what they wore had to be practical which resulted in most of them being given modified versions of the men's uniforms to wear. The women's hair needed to also be practical and so many publications issued instructions on how women could style their long hair to be suitable for wearing with their uniforms. These styles included long hair being pinned up usually at the nape of the neck or the hair being curled very tightly and pinned into place.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=board+of+trade+suitable+hairstyles+for+women
+during+the+war&espv=2&biw=1242&bih=606&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_p8j2v8LJAhWLshQK
HWBLB28Q_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=+suitable+hairstyles+for+women+during+the+war&imgrc=uzPWcTBA0jqOOM%3A
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=board+of+trade+suitable+hairstyles+for+women+during+the+war&espv=2&
biw=1242&bih=606&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_p8j2v8LJAhWLsh
QKHWBLB28Q_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=+suitable+hairstyles+for+women+during+the+war&imgrc=uSyGZZtmpwUCKM%3A
To gain more knowledge about the decades especially the 1940's I lokked at several books:
A History of Women's Hairstyles 1500-19-65 By Jean Keyes
Hair Cults by Dylan Jones
Hair by Biddle Perry and Cheang
Good Hair Days by Caroline Cox
An Illustrated Dictionary of Hairdressing and Wigwork by James Stevens Cox

No comments:

Post a Comment